Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rest

Did you know that there is an entire biblical doctrine of Rest?

I was first introduced to the topic last year at Bethel in my class on the Pentateuch, but recently reminded of the doctrine as I'm studying Hebrews.

It starts with the command to honor the Sabbath or "Shabbat" in Hebrew. The Shabbat fascinates me, and I may write more on it later, but for now I'll settle for recommending Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner--an intriguing description of Hebrew ritual for deeper and more meaningful worship.

The author of Hebrews alludes to the doctrine again in Hebrews 3-4:14. I've been picking out some really cool stuff about Shabbat in these verses. Particularly about Jesus Christ providing us eternal spiritual Shabbat--contrasted with the temporary Shabbat of the earthly promised land, Joshua, and the law.

But another convicting aspect of the Doctrine of Rest for me, is the frequent reference to God's voice in Hebrews.

3:7 "So as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

3:16 "As has just been said; 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.'"

4:7 "...'This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted: 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.'"


"Word" and "Spoke" are frequently used as well in the passage. But, you get the point. I'm convicted because I know how quickly my life gets filled with the noise of work, friends, family, and stuff. And I also know how easy it is to hear those voices louder than the voice of God...if I am not careful.

The final irony is that I'm confused when this happens--why am I not feeling the Shabbat of God. The author of Hebrews alludes to the voice of God being foundational for rest. In order to have peace, we must listen.



"The Rest" by Pablo Picasso

No comments: