Sunday, May 3, 2009

Today was my grandpa's last day as senior pastor at Polk Baptist Church. Amidst the cursed, uncontrollable Burke woman tears (I mean every blasted one of us from grandma to aunts to grand-daughters), he finished 62 years of pastoral ministry with a sermon in 1 John on loving one another.

I'm going to brag for a moment and state that I possibly had THE coolest grandpa in the entire world.

Last night I was studying Hebrews and ran across a passage that he had shown me when I was 15. At 15, I asked about whether or not individuals could "lose" their salvation. And my grandpa took the time to explain to me--in my youthful ignorance--the main premises of Soteriology (no joke). He didn't dumb it down, he used technical terms and gave me outlines of the philosophy behind prevailing views.

Which brings us to cool factor number one: who takes the time to explain Soteriology to a 15 year old?! My grandpa, that's who. And as a result I experienced the living Truth that EVERY one can understand their faith on a deeper level...never insult the capacity of the human heart and mind based on external factors (gender, age, etc.).

Then! And this is what blows my mind. I remember him focusing on Hebrews 10:24, 25:

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love, and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."

He explained (to a fascinated and totally mold-able pre-teen) that my actions in loving community would far surpass any theological conclusions I came to. That in the end, theology is just theology--and God is God over it all. But, my call is to encourage and be active.

As my grandpa concludes a long journey of ministry, I consider my own. I hope I have the wisdom to continue his legacy and love others more than my own mind. May our doctrines, our theologies, and our comprehension not rob the cross of its glory. May we stir one another to love. May we stir one another to good works. Let us not neglect meeting together. But, let us encourage one another!

2 comments:

Heather Lea said...

I like this very much and I think it's a crying shame that we don't get together. Not "we don't get together more often"- but AT ALL!!! Good grief!

Girl, consider yourself successful. I am officially encouraged.

Jay Taylor said...

1) you have a kick-ass grandpa

2) you have a blog?

3) i've officially added you to my list of reads.